While searching for something my computer's documents earlier, this diddy, which I had long forgotten, came up in my search.
I wrote this out with my young teenage son (who is almost 16 now, is taller than me, and has hands that could easily smash a Gallagher watermelon), with whom I was having some disagreements, we'll say, about discipline and respect in our home.
Every time a new behavior, attitude or phrase was exhibited, I added to the list. We did this in one sitting, by the way.
Typing out these things actually diffused the situation, and while I was serious, we managed to laugh together, too.
Looking it over again gave me a chuckle. Enjoy :)
Some actions not allowed in our home:
TURNING TO OTHER PARENT DURING INSTRUCTIONS,
WALKING AWAY BEFORE CONVERSATION IS OVER,
ACTING OUT ONE’S IMPATIENCE,
The following sayings are forbidden:
1) CALLING PARENTS’ INSTRUCTIONS “STUPID.”
2) RESPONDING, “OH, MY GOODNESS!” WHEN ASKED TO DO SOMETHING.
3) ASKING, “MAY I PUH-LEASE GET UP? (OR PUH-LEASE ANYTHING ELSE) WHEN SERVING TIME IN DISCIPLINE.
4) SAYING, “I’VE BEEN SITTING HERE ALL DAY!” WHEN YOU’RE STILL SERVING DISCIPLINE TIME.
5) SAYING, “I THINK THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!” WHEN BEING CORRECTED BY A PARENT.
6) SAYING, “STOP ADDING RULES!”
7) ASKING, “ARE YOU SERIOUS?”
8) PROCLAIMING, “DAD, THIS IS NOT FUNNY!” WHEN REVIEWING THE LIST OF BEHAVIORS THAT ARE UNACCEPTABLE IN OUR HOME.
9) ASKING “WHY?”
10) SAYING, “THIS MAKES NO SENSE,” AND “THIS IS SO RESTRICTIVE."
11) “I DIDN’T DO ANYTHING.”
12) CALLING PARENTS’ RULES “INSANITY.”
13) “WHY ME?”
14) “I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE!”
15) “Oh, come on!”
16) OH, and LYING.
I am glad to say, by the way, that I am the proud father one of the finest 15 year-old boys you'll ever know.